Stafford - Tucker Cemetery - Bradford, Anderson County, Texas
Address: 4 mi. W on Fm 847, then W on FM 2961
Directions: just west of junction FM 837 and FM 2961 on FM 2961, 4 mi. west of Bradford
Marker #: 5001008813
Year Dedicated: 1988
Size, type: 27" x 42"
Last reported condition: Fair
Stafford - Tucker Cemetery - The family of Uriah Monroe and Elizabeth Hanks Stafford came to Texas in the 1840s. In 1851 their son, George Washington, married Susan Woolverton and raised his family in Anderson County. After George W. Stafford's death in 1876 his land passed to his three children, William Uriah, Mary Louisa, and James Monroe Stafford. William later sold his interest to his brother and sister and left the area. The Stafford family became important in the life of the community of Price's Chapel, which was later renamed Springfield. Mary Louisa married John Lewis Tucker in 1871, and in 1897 this cemetery was begun on the family farm with the burial of their infant son, James D. Tucker. James Monroe Stafford was the next person buried here, after he was killed in the line of duty as Anderson County deputy sheriff in 1899. Mary Louisa Stafford Tucker died of pneumonia in 1900 and was buried in the family plot. Those interred in this cemetery include members of the Stafford and Tucker families, as well as a few neighbors. The graveyard has been cared for by members of the family since its beginning. It serves as a physical reminder of the area's early history. (1988) Incise on base: Sponsored by James H. and Mamie R. Stafford
Decimal degrees:  N 31.987600   W -95.824851
Degrees, minutes: N 31 59.256   W 095 49.491
UTM: Zone 15, Easting 233094, Northing 3542548
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Stafford - Tucker Cemetery map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint