West Fork School - Windthorst, Archer County, Texas
Address: 9 mi S of Windthorst on SH 16 at Prideaux Rd
Marker #: 5009012641
Year Dedicated: 2002
Size, type: 18" x 28"
Last reported condition: No report
West Fork School - Begun in the early 1880s as the Baggett School, taught by landowner Silas Baggett, the West Fork School served students in this rural region for more than 60 years. In order to remain in the center of a dispersed agricultural community, the two-room school building was moved twice: once in 1886, when it was renamed New Hope and again in the 1920s to this site, where it was called West Fork. by 1944, enrollment had declined to six children, and the school was closed. Students were reassigned to school in Antelope. The building was relocated to Archer City, where it served as a residence until it burned some years later.
Decimal degrees:  N 33.429388   W -98.457043
Degrees, minutes: N 33 25.763   W 098 27.423
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 550474, Northing 3699022
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

West Fork School map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint