Site of 1920s Factory of the Temple Monoplane - Temple, Bell County, Texas
Address:
Directions: On SH 36/Loop 363, 1/10 mile west of IH 35 (exit 299) (marker is on north side of road)
Marker #: 5027004719
Year Dedicated: 1970
Size, type: 18 x 28
Last reported condition: None
Site of 1920s Factory of the Temple Monoplane - Pioneer commercial aircraft developed by engineering genius George W. Williams, who with Roy Sanderford, George Carroll, and his brother, E.K. Williams, formed Texas Aero Corporation in 1927. The firm obtained (June 23, 1928) approved type Certificate No. 45 of U.S.Department of Commerce, to make and sell the Temple Monoplane. Primarily designed for airmail, this craft was equipped for night flight--an innovation in that era. Despite successes, plant closed after 1929 Wall Street crash and death on Aug. 15, 1930, of George Williams in a student training disaster. (1970)
Decimal degrees:  N 31.089398   W -97.393924
Degrees, minutes: N 31 05.364   W 097 23.635
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 653192, Northing 3440618
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Site of 1920s Factory of the Temple Monoplane map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint