The Brazos Canal - Lake Jackson, Brazoria County, Texas
Address:
Directions: off N. Yaupon, on Crepe Myrtle just past Beachwood
Marker #: 5039009535
Year Dedicated: 1986
Size, type: 18" x 28"
Last reported condition: Poor; Refinish
The Brazos Canal - Chartered in 1841, the Brazos Canal Company was the result of local landowners' efforts to build canals to connect inland plantations to Gulf shipping ports. Construction began in 1847 on a canal, referred to locally as the "slave ditch" because it was dug by the slaves of company owners. A one-mile section, twenty-four feet wide and three feet deep, took two years to complete. The project was soon abandoned. A rival company, the Galveston and Brazos Navigation Company, completed a canal between the Brazos River and Galveston Bay in 1856. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Decimal degrees:  N 29.056241   W -95.432091
Degrees, minutes: N 29 03.374   W 095 25.925
UTM: Zone 15, Easting 263205, Northing 3216658
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

The Brazos Canal map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint