Providence Baptist Church - Caldwell, Burleson County, Texas
Address:
Directions: 7 miles SE of Caldwell on FM 166, then S 1/2 mile on CR 243
Marker #: 5051008649
Year Dedicated: 1968
Size, type: 18 x 28" Subject
Last reported condition: faded; local effort
Providence Baptist Church - Organized 1841 in Republic of Texas by James A. Prewitt, first deacon. Until calling of pastor, 32 members met 3 or 4 times a year, with planters from Brazos bottoms and their households (including slaves) in attendance. By 1875 this was one of most influential churches in area, known for its 2-weeks brush arbor or tabernacle meetings. It has had 25 pastors. Original church was of split logs. Present building is the fourth. Centennial observance in 1941 was attended by the Lieutenant Governor and other officials.
Decimal degrees:  N 30.535752   W -96.578095
Degrees, minutes: N 30 32.145   W 096 34.686
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 732356, Northing 3380649
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Providence Baptist Church map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint