Near River Crossing Used by New Braunfels' First Settlers - New Braunfels, Comal County, Texas
Address:
Directions: at corner of Porter and McKinna in front of Mission Valley Mills, New Braunfels
Marker #: 5091003561
Year Dedicated: 1968
Size, type: 18 x 28" Subject
Last reported condition: refinish not on major hwy.
Near River Crossing Used by New Braunfels' First Settlers - At the crossing of the San Antonio-Nacogdches Road on the Guadalupe River (used earlier by some of Texas' most famous trail-blazers) about 200 German colonists ended a journey that had begun six months before, in Europe. Here, on Good Firday,1845, they founded the town of New Braunfels. Named for the estate of Prince Solms-Braunfels, the commissioner-general of the German Emigration Society. Part of a wave of German colonists,1844-1847, this small group and others like it have left a distinctive mark on the heritage and culture of Texas. (1968)
Decimal degrees:  N 29.696701   W -98.105907
Degrees, minutes: N 29 41.802   W 098 06.354
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 586496, Northing 3285512
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Near River Crossing Used by New Braunfels' First Settlers map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint