Hopkinsville Community, A Colony of Freedmen - Cuero, De Witt County, Texas
Address:
Directions: from Cuero, take US 183 south about 7 miles
Marker #: 5123002560
Year Dedicated: 1983
Size, type: 18 x 28" Subject
Last reported condition: Faded; Redo
Hopkinsville Community, A Colony of Freedmen - Members of the Hopkins family came to De Witt County in 1854 as slaves of Judge Henry Clay Pleasants (d. 1899). They worked for a time on a Gonzales County plantation and returned to this area after the Civil War as freedmen. In 1872 Henry Hopkins bought 42 acres of land and established the Hopkinsville community (1 mile west). Residents of the settlement organized the Antioch Baptist Church in 1873 and began a school about ten years later. Although the school closed in 1956, members of the Antioch Baptist Church continue to worship near Hopkinsville.
Decimal degrees:  N 29.030515   W -97.317200
Degrees, minutes: N 29 01.831   W 097 19.032
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 663869, Northing 3212534
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Hopkinsville Community, A Colony of Freedmen map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint