Hope Cemetery - Marlin, Falls County, Texas
Address:
Directions: From Marlin, Take Fm 147 east about 9 mi then go north about 3 mi to cemtery. (on west side of road)
Marker #: 5145002558
Year Dedicated: 1980
Size, type: 27" x 42" Subject
Last reported condition: none
Hope Cemetery - Falls County Judge W. R. Reagan, pioneer school teacher, gave this 10-acre site in 1873 to Hope Baptist Church for a meeting, school, and burial ground. The 61-member fellowship under the pastorate of the Rev. J. J. Davis erected a sanctuary to serve the "Spunky Flat" area. The first grave in the cemetery after 1873 was that of a young girl whose family was traveling through the region. Over the plot they built a small house which washed away in a flood. The first marked site, dated 1874, is that of Alma Etta Watters. A summer revival conducted in 1921 under an arbor revitalized the congregation, and for several years the prayer meetings continued to draw large crowds. As residents moved to cities and young men went into military service in World War II, the membership declined. IN 1943 the last service was conducted. The sanctuary was destroyed by fire in 1966. In the early years relatives and friends provided maintenance for the burial ground. Hope Cemetery Association was organized in 1974 and a tabernacle was constructed five years later. The graveyard, with 104 marked sites and many unmarked plots, continues to serve the area.
Decimal degrees:  N 31.412771   W -96.785717
Degrees, minutes: N 31 24.766   W 096 47.143
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 710497, Northing 3477469
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Hope Cemetery map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint