Moore's Chapel Cemetery - Bonham, Fannin County, Texas
Address:
Directions: from Bonham take FM 271 SE 4 miles to cemetery
Marker #: 5147008914
Year Dedicated: 1995
Size, type: 27" x 42"
Last reported condition: Good
Moore's Chapel Cemetery - Missouri native Alexander Moore married Virginia native Mary Jane Jones in St. Genevieve, Missouri, in 1856. They moved to Texas and purchased land in this area in 1857. The Moore donated two acres here to a rapidly growing community for cemetery purposes in the mid-1870s. The first recorded burial was that of Martha Cashion, early pioneer settler and a friend and neighbor of the Moores, on March 11, 1876. Area Baptists erected a sanctuary just north of the cemetery on land donated by the Moores that became known as Moore's Chapel Church. The community and this cemetery also became known as Moore's Chapel. An unusually high number of infant burials during the 1880s and 1890s reflect an outbreak of typhoid fever. Alexander Moore was buried here in 1915. Moore's Chapel Cemetery and adjacent church and school buildings made up the community center. The cemetery contains the burials of many of the area's pioneer settlers and their descendants and veterans of wars ranging from the Civil War to World War II. The cemetery is maintained by an association and continues to serve the community.
Decimal degrees:  N 33.530849   W -96.139862
Degrees, minutes: N 33 31.851   W 096 08.392
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 765614, Northing 3713803
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Moore's Chapel Cemetery map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint