Galveston "News," C. S.A. - Galveston, Galveston County, Texas
Address: 8522 Teichman Rd.
Directions:
Marker #: 5167007472
Year Dedicated: 1964
Size, type: 27" x 42"
Last reported condition: Poor; refinish
Galveston "News," C. S.A. - Founded 1842 by Samuel Bangs, Texas' first printer. Published after 1843 by Willard Richardson, who put up the first 4-story building in Galveston to house the offices and printing plant. Soon after the Civil War began in 1861, cut back from a tri-weekly, to weekly. When Governor Francis R. Lubbock in 1862 asked civilians to evacuate, moved to Houston. Destroyed by fire in February, resumed publication in April on straw paper or yellow tissue, and with few columns. Galveston items came by messenger, while back home a Union sympathizer freely published "Flake's Bulletin." The "Texas Almanac," a sideline first put out in 1857 to attract immigration and summarize state events, was published in war years in Austin by David Richardson as the "Tri-Weekly Almanac Extra." Confederate veteran A. H. Belo joined the "News" staff in 1865 and in 1866 moved with it back to Galveston. In 1875, became chief owner of the "News" and "Texas Almanac." In 1878 he installed Texas' first telephone from his office to his home. With the founding of the Dallas "Morning News," Oct. 1, 1885, Belo became the first publisher with duplicate newspapers issued over 300 miles apart.
Decimal degrees:  N 29.281605   W -94.868374
Degrees, minutes: N 29 16.896   W 094 52.102
UTM: Zone 15, Easting 318499, Northing 3240633
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Galveston
<< BackBookmark PagePrint