Site of Dobskyville - Weesatche, Goliad County, Texas
Address: intersection of FM 884 and Dobskyville Rd.
Directions: 4 mi. N of Weesatches on FM 884, at the intersection with Dobskyville Rd.
Marker #: 5175012660
Year Dedicated: 1994
Size, type: 27" x 42"
Last reported condition: No report
Site of Dobskyville - After immigrating from Prussia to Texas in 1846, Fredrick and Auguste Wilhelmine Dobsky moved here with their family in 1847 to 800 acres they had bought from J.H. Davis. Following Fredrick's death in 1873 his son Adolph inherited the land. Adolph and his wife Rosalia farmed and ranched and reared a family here. After Adolph's death in 1903 Adolph's son Henry opened a general store, and a school was built nearby in 1906. Dobsky expanded his general store to include a post office, gristmill, blacksmith shop, gasoline pump, saloon and the only telephone exchange in the area. A dance pavilion that the Dobskys added to their roadside property in 1909 served for many years as the site of numerous popular entertainment activities. Residents of the area farmed and ranched and gathered socially in one of Henry Dobsky's several establishments. The town of Dobskyville gradually declined after the 1930s depression and World War II. The pavilion was destroyed by a storm in 1942, and in 1948 the school closed. Henry Dobsky, described as the "general merchant, mayor, marshall and city attorney of Dobskyville," died in 1957. In 1969 the Dobsky home was dismantled.
Decimal degrees:  N 28.845461   W -97.454416
Degrees, minutes: N 28 50.728   W 097 27.265
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 650773, Northing 3191845
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Site of Dobskyville map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint