Center Plains Community - Cotton Center, Hale County, Texas
Address: FM 179, 4 miles north
Directions: from Cotton Center, take FM 179 North four miles.
Marker #: 5189000784
Year Dedicated: 1980
Size, type: 27" x 42"
Last reported condition: Faded; Refinish
Center Plains Community - Early settlers to Hale County referred to the territory west of Hale Center (9 mi. E) as the Center Plains community. A cemetery and a schoolhouse, established to serve the vast area, were located at this site on property donated by William S. Bolivar who began homesteading the area in 1890. The first post office, listing the settlement as Copenhagen, opened in 1902 in the home of T. H. Miller, the postmaster. When construction of the proposed Panhandle Short Line Railroad from Vega to Lubbock bypassed the community in 1907, the post office and school were moved to the newly platted town of Norfleet (1 mi. W). The town failed by 1910 when plans for the rail line were abandoned, and the school was moved back to Center Plains. The schoolhouse also served as a community center and people of all faiths worshiped in the facility on Sundays. Plans to consolidate with other area schools were rejected in 1925, but officials divided the district in 1937 and transferred the students to Hale Center and Cotton Center schools. Center Plains was once the nucleus of a large rural community, but only the cemetery remains. 1980
Decimal degrees:  N 34.050941   W -101.993160
Degrees, minutes: N 34 03.056   W 0101 59.590
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 223706, Northing 3771847
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Center Plains Community map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint