Halfway - Plainview, Hale County, Texas
Address: 14 mi. W on US 70 at FM 179
Directions: from Plainview, take US 70 West about 14 miles, near intersection of US 70 and FM 179
Marker #: 5189002334
Year Dedicated: 1979
Size, type: 27" x 42"
Last reported condition: None; Good
Halfway - Settlers came to this area seeking abundant grass, fertile soil, and water. This site, acquired by R. L. Hooper (1872-1952) and his wife Ada Mae (Hughley) (1880-1955) in the 1890s, received its name because it stood "halfway" between Olton and Plainview. It made a good rest stop for ranchers, with a windmill for water and overnight camping. Early pioneers raised enough grain for their stock. Arrival of the railroad in Plainview in 1906 and use of irrigation systems developed a vast agricultural region. In 1908 Hooper provided six acres and helped build a schoolhouse for his seven and the neighbors' children. Hooper donated land in 1910 for Edgar Howard to build the first store where he ran a post office and wagon yard. Methodist and Baptist congregations met in the school building until they erected sanctuaries. The post office closed in 1914 but the settlement boasted a blacksmith shop and a cotton gin. In 1917 Hooper gave one acre for a burial ground. Although population decline caused the Halfway School to consolidate with Plainview in 1952, the community is still prospering. Located here is the High Plains Research Foundation to aid farmers in the surrounding 19-county area. 1979
Decimal degrees:  N 34.188292   W -101.952157
Degrees, minutes: N 34 11.298   W 0101 57.129
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 227933, Northing 3786974
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Halfway map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint