Lakeview School and Community - Petersburg, Hale County, Texas
Address: FM 54, 8 mi. W
Directions: from Petersburg, take FM 54 about 8 miles west
Marker #: 5189003014
Year Dedicated: 1989
Size, type: 27" x 42"
Last reported condition: None; Good
Lakeview School and Community - The Lakeview School traces its roots to two area pioneer schools. Ivey School (approximately 5.5 mi. NE) opened in 1892. Classes were held in a three-room schoolhouse, which was later moved to a site closer to this location (about 2 miles East). Star School (approximately 2 mi. NW) opened in 1904. The Ivey and Star schoolhouses were moved onto this site in 1914 and joined to form one building. The consolidated schools were renamed Lakeview, and the first teacher was A. H. Tedford. An independent school district was formally organized in 1919, and a new brick schoolhouse was erected in the 1920s. Soon after the establishment of the Lakeview School a community began to build up in this vicinity. At its height in the 1920s and 1930s the community boasted a Methodist church, a Baptist church, a blacksmith shop, a gin, a garage, retail stores, and homes. The Lakeview School closed in 1943 and students were transferred to Abernathy and Petersburg. The only physical remnants of the settlement are the Methodist church and the foundation of the brick schoolhouse. Now a ghost town, Lakeview Community was once an important part of the education of Hale County children. 1989
Decimal degrees:  N 33.876705   W -101.737418
Degrees, minutes: N 33 52.602   W 0101 44.245
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 246804, Northing 3751858
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Lakeview School and Community map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint