Lamar School - Plainview, Hale County, Texas
Address: intersection of FM 400, Date St., & 5th St.
Directions: located at intersection of FM 400 with Date Street and 5th Street, Plainview
Marker #: 5189003017
Year Dedicated: 1981
Size, type: 27" x 42"
Last reported condition: Faded; Refinish
Lamar School - The first Plainview schoolhouse was built in 1887, the year the town was founded. Located northwest of this site, it was a half-dugout sod building similar to many of the pioneer homes of the area. Built by local men under the supervision of Judge J. M. Carter and Col. R. P. Smyth, the structure also served as a community center and was used for the organization of at least two local churches. In 1889 the Plainview Masonic Lodge constructed a two-story frame building west of this site. The second floor was used for lodge meetings and the ground floor was occupied by the school, which became known as The Llano Estacado Institute for Male and Female in 1893. The building served as the schoolhouse until it burned in 1902. Shortly after the organization of the Plainview Independent School District in 1902, the elementary school was renamed in honor of the noted Texas leader Mirabeau B. Lamar. A two-story schoolhouse at this site was moved in 1910 when the original section of the present building was constructed. Later used as a vocational training center, Lamar School reflects the pioneer educational, social, and religious growth of the community. 1981
Decimal degrees:  N 34.184265   W -101.697346
Degrees, minutes: N 34 11.056   W 0101 41.841
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 251411, Northing 3785876
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Lamar School map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint