Pearce Chapel - Strip Cemetery - Abernathy, Hale County, Texas
Address:
Directions: from Abernathy, take US 87 North about 2 miles, then take FM 54 East about 4.25 miles, then follow local road south, about .25 miles, veer west then, south again .5 miles
Marker #: 5189003960
Year Dedicated: 1974
Size, type: 27" x 42"
Last reported condition: None; Good
Pearce Chapel - Strip Cemetery - The only landmark of the Strip Community, named for its location on a 1.5 by 15-mile strip of land opened to homesteaders in the 1890s. William Houston Pearce (1844-1926) moved into the area in 1895 and started a school, called "Round-Top", or "Strip". Small groups began to worship in the schoolhouse, and one congregation formed Pearce Chapel Methodist Church. F. E. Andrews (1857-1898) gave a cemetery tract in 1898, and late that year his was the first grave. Strip Post Office opened in 1904 with Postmaster Jerry W. Turner handling the mail in his home. In 1906, a Union Church was built near the cemetery site, which was purchased by public subscription in 1907, in order to clear the title. In 1910 the Strip Post Office closed after service was made available in Abernathy. The school and church buildings were moved to Lakeview in succeeding years, but this cemetery continues to be used. By 1973 it had 180 graves. War veterans buried here include two Confederate soldiers, James E. Fitzgerald and William Houston Pearce; World War I veterans George W. Fitzgerald, George Harkness, and Leroy Mahagan; World War II veterans Thomas L. Goldston, Harvey Shelby Pittman, and John Fred Sherman. 1974
Decimal degrees:  N 33.854181   W -101.773869
Degrees, minutes: N 33 51.251   W 0101 46.432
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 243364, Northing 3749450
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Pearce Chapel - Strip Cemetery map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint