Site of Lake Plainview - Plainview, Hale County, Texas
Address: 1200 N. Broadway
Directions: 1200 North Broadway, Plainview
Marker #: 5189004821
Year Dedicated: 1977
Size, type: 18" x 28"
Last reported condition: Faded; Refinish
Site of Lake Plainview - The City of Plainview, founded in the 1880s, sought agricultural supremacy for its trade area. Civic leaders pioneered irrigated farming in 1911 by boring the first of many deep water wells. In 1912, Texas Land & Development Co. installed a demonstration well near the Santa Fe Railway Depot and created Lake Plainview and a park at this site. Called Texas' largest body of water fed by a well, the lake was very popular with the public, but expensive to maintain. After fire destroyed the pump house in 1917, park and lake went back to nature. In 1977 the area again became a park. 1977
Decimal degrees:  N 34.193838   W -101.703509
Degrees, minutes: N 34 11.630   W 0101 42.211
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 250871, Northing 3786953
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Site of Lake Plainview map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint