Slaton Well - Plainview, Hale County, Texas
Address: 5 mi. W on US 70
Directions: from Plainview, take US 70 about 5 miles west
Marker #: 5189005429
Year Dedicated: 1976
Size, type: 18" x 28"
Last reported condition: Bullet holes; Preferably replace; however, substantial improvement could be made by refinishing.
Slaton Well - The Plainview Commercial Club, led by President J. O. Wyckoff, saw the potential of irrigation during a 1910 visit to wells in New Mexico. Local banker and farmer J. H. Slaton agreed to bear cost of a test well sunk on his land if it succeeded. G. E. Green and J. N. McNaughton completed the well in Jan. 1911. At 130 feet, using a nine-inch centrifugal pump, it yielded 1,700 gallons of water a minute. The success of the Slaton Well led to extensive irrigation. It transformed this semiarid area of West Texas into one of the most productive food crop regions in the world. 1976
Decimal degrees:  N 34.189855   W -101.784429
Degrees, minutes: N 34 11.391   W 0101 47.066
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 243400, Northing 3786712
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Slaton Well map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint