Town of Abernathy - Abernathy, Hale County, Texas
Address: US 87, at city hall
Directions: City Hall, US 87, Abernathy
Marker #: 5189005518
Year Dedicated: 1975
Size, type: 18" x 28"
Last reported condition: Good
Town of Abernathy - Founded when Santa Fe Railroad was extended from Plainview to Lubbock, 1909. Named for Monroe G. Abernathy (1868-1962), treasurer of South Plains Investment Company, firm which promoted townsite. Community prospered, becoming a major railhead for shipping of cattle. Several buildings from the defunct town of Bartonsite were moved here and new ones built. Center of civic activities was the "Old Tabernacle" (1918-1947), located on city square. In early days, before roads were built, broad plowed furrows marked way to house of town doctor. Economy is agriculture-based. 1973
Decimal degrees:  N 33.831820   W -101.843210
Degrees, minutes: N 33 49.909   W 0101 50.593
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 236878, Northing 3747145
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Town of Abernathy map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint