Black Oak Baptist Church - Sulphur Springs, Hopkins County, Texas
Address:
Directions: FM 69 at FM 269, 17 mi. SE of Sulphur Springs
Marker #: 5223007303
Year Dedicated: 1984
Size, type: 27" x 42"
Last reported condition: Fair; refinish
Black Oak Baptist Church - Named for the black oak trees surrounding it, the Black Oak community was settled in the 1850s by recipients of government land grants. By 1854 a post office had been established, and a log building had been constructed for use as a community church and school. In its early years, Black Oak had a gin, hardwood sawmill, and grocery store. In 1856 Elders John J. D. Davis and Daniel Ramsey helped organize a Baptist congregation. The eight charter members-- H. W. Townsend, Stephen Bullock, Canter Irby, Rebecka Jane Byrd, Amanda Ford, F. M. Ford, Penelepe Floyd, and Malindy Bullock-- elected Davis as their first pastor. Throughout its history, Black Oak Baptist Church has been a focal point of the community. Early settlers David and Rebecca Attaway donated one acre of land for use of the church in 1859. Additional land was purchased in 1885 and in 1910. The current sanctuary replaced the original log building in 1909. The Black Oak Cemetery, located adjacent to the church building, long has been associated with this congregation. The oldest marked grave, that of Ava Oliver, is dated 1857. Many descendants of the early day founders of the Black Oak community are active in the Black Oak Baptist Church congregation today.
Decimal degrees:  N 32.964838   W -95.428112
Degrees, minutes: N 32 57.890   W 095 25.687
UTM: Zone 15, Easting 273058, Northing 3650006
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Black Oak Baptist Church map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint