Jones School House - , Houston County, Texas
Address:
Directions: 8 miles northeast of Crockett on FM 2022
Marker #: 5225007052
Year Dedicated: 1973
Size, type: 18" x 28"
Last reported condition: No report
Jones School House - On land given by John Jesse Jones (1820-1872), who with his wife Margaret Kyle (1830-1896) moved from Alabama to Texas in the 1850s. The 1860s one-room log cabin school house was used also for church and community meetings. It was furnished with teacher's platform and hand-hewn, peg-leg log benches. Two generations of children learned to read, write and figure here, before school was moved after 1900 into the woods about 1.5 miles northeast, and enlarged. It was consolidated with Latexo in 1933. A 63-foot well with rock bottom remains to mark site of Jones School.
Decimal degrees:  N 31.423857   W -95.385501
Degrees, minutes: N 31 25.431   W 095 23.130
UTM: Zone 15, Easting 273249, Northing 3479039
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Jones School House map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint