Pleasant Valley Farmers' Alliance No. 1 - Lampasas, Lampasas County, Texas
Address:
Directions: from Lampasas, take 183/190 NW about 9 miles
Marker #: 5281004055
Year Dedicated: 1969
Size, type: 18" x 28"
Last reported condition: Faded; Refinish
Pleasant Valley Farmers' Alliance No. 1 - First chapter of the Farmers' Alliance in Texas. Founded 1877, it became one of the strongest arms of the national agrarian reform movement of the era. The group was begun by John R. Allen on Donaldson Creek (1 mi. S) in a "rawhide" (rough) lumber school. Its main purpose was to improve ruinous farm living and economic conditions. Missing livestock were traced by 2 secret officers known as "Grand Smokies". In 1887 the 3,000 sub-alliances merged with the "Farmers' Union", then helped spark the Populist Party drive of the 1890's; but by 1900 they had died out.
Decimal degrees:  N 31.132819   W -98.291884
Degrees, minutes: N 31 07.969   W 098 17.513
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 567508, Northing 3444537
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Pleasant Valley Farmers' Alliance No. 1 map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint