Burton B. Tarkington - Cleveland, Liberty County, Texas
Address:
Directions: 5.5 mi. SE on SH 321 from Cleveland
Marker #: 5291009689
Year Dedicated: 1996
Size, type: 27" x 42"
Last reported condition: No report
Burton B. Tarkington - Burton B. Tarkington (1790-1861) and his wife Sarah Berry Tarkington migrated with their family from Indiana in the mid-1820s to the Mexican state of Coahuila. They settled west of the Trinity River in present northwest Liberty County, and began ranching and raising crops. The area around their farm became known as Tarkington's Prairie, and a creek in the area is called Tarkington Bayou. According to family legend, the Tarkingtons and other early settlers had to vacate their property in 1836 when Santa Anna's forces advanced prior to the Battle of San Jacinto. Apparently Tarkington did not have a land grant from the Mexican government for the land he claimed, but when Texas gained independence from Mexico in 1836 he received a headright land grant of one league and one labor (4,605 acres). The grant was patented in 1847 by the new state of Texas and became known as the Tarkington Survey. Tarkington became a leader in the community. He served in the Texas Militia in 1842, and was elected Liberty County commissioner for three terms beginning in 1854. He received recognition for his service from Governor H. R. Runnels. Tarkington died Feb. 2, 1861, and is buried in the McGinnis Cemetery (.25 mi. W).
Decimal degrees:  N 30.311795   W -94.990207
Degrees, minutes: N 30 18.708   W 094 59.412
UTM: Zone 15, Easting 308633, Northing 3355013
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Burton B. Tarkington map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint