Spanish Explorers' Route - Wilson, Lynn County, Texas
Address: SH 211, west city limit in roadside park
Directions: SH 211, west limit of Wilson in Roadside Park
Marker #: 5305004999
Year Dedicated: 1967
Size, type: 18" x 28"
Last reported condition: Faded; Refinish
Spanish Explorers' Route - A prehistoric road discovered and used by Indians, Spaniards, United States Army units, and cattle drovers. It crossed the Llano Estacado from Gholson Spring (7 mi. E. of present-day Slaton), to Tahoka Lake (3 mi. S. of Wilson), then to Tobacco Creek, Big Spring, and the North Concho. Here passed many 17th century Spanish visitors: Father Salas, coming from New Mexico in 1629 on pleas of Jumano Indians to preach to them; Captains Hernan Martin and Diego del Castillo, exploring in 1650; Captain Diego de Guadalajara, seeking pearls and other treasure, in 1654. Incise on back: Historian - Dr. W. C. Holden Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
Decimal degrees:  N 33.323489   W -101.725071
Degrees, minutes: N 33 19.409   W 0101 43.504
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 246330, Northing 3690465
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Spanish Explorers' Route map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint