Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church - Priddy, Mills County, Texas
Address: SH 16
Directions: SH 16, Priddy
Marker #: 5333005955
Year Dedicated: 1989
Size, type: 27" x 42"
Last reported condition: Refinish/local effort
Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church - In the 1870s many settlers of German ancestry began arriving in this area. In 1889, under the leadership of The Rev. R. Seils, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized. Early worship services were held in the Bismark Schoolhouse (about two miles south). Beginning with twenty-three charter members, the congregation grew steadily. By 1892, a small sanctuary was constructed and a cemetery was established on the church property. Another group of families began meeting together for worship services in the Priddy community, and in December 1903 organized St. John's Lutheran Church. Services were held in the Becker Mountain Schoolhouse (about two miles east). Soon both German Lutheran congregations were being served by the same minister. In 1929 the Zion congregation moved to Priddy and built a new sanctuary. In 1941, by mutual consent, the Zion and St. John's congregations joined together to become one church under the Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church name. A part of Mills County history for generations, this church continues to serve the community with many forms of outreach.
Decimal degrees:  N 31.675359   W -98.508678
Degrees, minutes: N 31 40.522   W 098 30.521
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 546571, Northing 3504557
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint