Nueces County Courthouse of 1914 - Corpus Christi, Nueces County, Texas
Address: IH 37 and N. Mesquite
Directions: North Mesquite and IH 37, Corpus Christi
Marker #: 5355003621
Year Dedicated: 1978
Size, type: 27" x 42"
Last reported condition: Refinish if possible--behind fence--access not likely
Nueces County Courthouse of 1914 - In 1853 lawlessness in Nueces County, which covered most of the area from Corpus Christi to the Mexican border, prompted the construction of the first county courthouse on this block. Three lots were purchased for $300 from Corpus Christi founder, Henry Lawrence Kinney (1814-1865). A second courthouse was built in the mid-1870's beside the first. Under the administration of county Judge Walter F. Timon (1872-1952), this neo-classical structure was completed in 1914 at a cost of $250,000. The architect, Harvey L. Page (1859-1934) of Washington, D.C., designed the International and Great Northern Railroad station in San Antonio and Laguna Gloria in Austin, home of former Corpus Christi resident Clara Driscoll. Additions were made to the buildings in the 1930's and 1960's. Courtrooms and offices were on the first four floors. The top two floors, separated from the rest of the building by an air space to eliminate noise, served as the jail. In addition to government offices, apartments were provided until the 1950's for the jailer and other county officials. During storms which almost leveled the city, hundreds of refugees sought shelter here. In 1977 county offices moved to a new courthouse building.
Decimal degrees:  N 27.801356   W -97.396085
Degrees, minutes: N 27 48.081   W 097 23.765
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 658001, Northing 3076229
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
Geodashing Dash Points

Historical Markers
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Nueces County Courthouse of 1914 map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint