Old County Jail - Palo Pinto, Palo Pinto County, Texas
Address:
Directions: 1 block south of Courthouse Square, Palo Pinto
Marker #: 5363003716
Year Dedicated: 1976
Size, type: 18 x 28" Subject
Last reported condition: Refinish/Local effort
Old County Jail - Built to replace a log jail, this native sandstone structure was erected by contractors Martin, Byrne and Johnston of Comanche. J. C. McQuerry was sheriff when it was finished (1880). The first floor was used for county offices until a new courthouse was finished. It then housed the jailer's family, while the top floor held killers, cattle rustlers, rowdy cowboys, and other prisoners. A steel trap door was installed for hangings in 1907 but never used. Vacated in 1941, the building was acquired by the Palo Pinto County Historical Association in 1968 and restored as its headquarters and museum. (1976)
Decimal degrees:  N 32.767985   W -98.299299
Degrees, minutes: N 32 46.079   W 098 17.958
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 565628, Northing 3625783
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Old County Jail map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint