Fort Worth and Denver City Railway, First Railroad through the Texas Panhandle - Amarillo, Potter County, Texas
Address: 83 Pierce St.
Directions: 83 Pierce Street, Amarillo.
Marker #: 5375002037
Year Dedicated: 1966
Size, type: 27" x 42"
Last reported condition: None
Fort Worth and Denver City Railway, First Railroad through the Texas Panhandle - Pioneered transportation in the old buffalo and Indian frontier and the open-range cattle empire. Organized by Fort Worth citizens. Although chartered by the Texas Legislature on May 26, 1873, the actual building was delayed by the money panic of 1873. Under General G.M. Dodge, civil engineer who had built several major lines, grading began in 1881 at Hodge, near Fort Worth. Despite the 1882 repeal of the Texas Land Grant Act, private capital was able to push rails northwestward at intervals. Numerous towns, including Amarillo (in 1887) began as camps of the crews building grade and laying the tracks. On March 14, 1888, connection was made with rails of the Denver, Texas and Fort Worth Railroad (now Colorado and Southern) at Union Park, near Folsom, N. Mex. This completed the through route to Denver. In 1908 the Fort Worth and Denver City became a part of the Burlington System; in 1951 the name was changed to Fort Worth and Denver Railway Company. Ever since its beginning, this railroad has been backed by men with unlimited faith in the destiny of the Texas Panhandle. It has advanced the economy based on cattle, grain, petroleum, and manufacturing. (1966)
Decimal degrees:  N 35.211905   W -101.830900
Degrees, minutes: N 35 12.714   W 0101 49.854
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 242308, Northing 3900215
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Fort Worth and Denver City Railway, First Railroad through the Texas Panhandle map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint