Wild Horse Lake - Amarillo, Potter County, Texas
Address: Amarillo Boulevard and Old Route 66
Directions: Located on the S access road of Amarillo Boulevard, or Old Route 66, about .1 mile W of intersection of Amarillo Boulevard and Travis Street, Amarillo.
Marker #: 5375005810
Year Dedicated: 1994
Size, type: 18" x 28"
Last reported condition: None
Wild Horse Lake - At various times this playa lake served as a reliable water source for buffalo, wild horses, nomadic native americans, explorers, cattle drivers, traders, and pioneers traversing the high plains. The lake area, also called Amarillo Lake, became the original townsite of Amarillo in 1887. Frequent flooding caused the town's relocation to higher ground one mile east of here by 1890. Amarillo developed there to become the cattle and agricultural railroad shipping center of the Texas high plains region. Modern development has diverted the lake's natural drainage system and reduced its size. (1994)
Decimal degrees:  N 35.212110   W -101.855893
Degrees, minutes: N 35 12.727   W 0101 51.354
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 240033, Northing 3900303
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Wild Horse Lake map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint