West Texas Woolen Mills - Eldorado, Schleicher County, Texas
Address: 409 SW Main St.
Directions: 409 SW Main St., Eldorado
Marker #: 5413005683
Year Dedicated: 1995
Size, type: 18" x 28"
Last reported condition: NONE
West Texas Woolen Mills - INTRODUCED TO THIS AREA IN 1883, SHEEP EXISTED IN LARGE NUMBERS THROUGHOUT THE REGION BY THE 1930s. PROMINENT LOCAL BANKER JOSEPH B. CHRISTIAN AND HIS SON, TEXTILE ENGINEER JOE MULLER CHRISTIAN, ERECTED THIS NATIVE STONE BUILDING TO HOUSE THE WEST TEXAS WOOLEN MILLS. TEXAS GOVERNOR W. LEE O'DANIEL ATTENDED THE GRAND OPENING IN 1941. IN 1942 THE PLANT WAS AWARDED A MAJOR WORLD WAR II CONTRACT TO MANUFACTURE ARMY BLANKETS. AFTER A SUCCESSFUL CONVERSION TO POSTWAR PRODUCTION, THE MILL BECAME A MAJOR CONTRIBUTOR TO THE AREA'S ECONOMY. THE CHRISTIANS SOLD THE LANDMARK MILL IN 1963. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK - 1995
Decimal degrees:  N 30.856580   W -100.603720
Degrees, minutes: N 30 51.395   W 0100 36.223
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 346661, Northing 3414808
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

West Texas Woolen Mills map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint