Independence School - Independence, Washington County, Texas
Address:
Directions: 1 block E of FM 50/FM 390 intersection, on FM 390, Independence.
Marker #: 5477008360
Year Dedicated:
Size, type: 27" x 42" Subject
Last reported condition: No report
Independence School - Although private schools were in operation in Independence as early as 1835, tax-supported public schools were not established until the 1870s. In September 1870 the county court ordered that each of the five precincts in the county be divided into two school districts--one for white students and one for black students. The first county school tax was levied in 1874, paving the way for schoolhouse construction. Classes for white students were conducted in a small frame building and in former facilities of Baylor Female Academy until the first public school building was erected on this site on the town square in 1889. By 1937 an average of forty-four students were attending the school, taught by three teachers. The 1889 schoolhouse was destroyed in a 1939 fire, and another building was erected on the same site. Passed by the State Legislature in 1949, the Gilmer-Aiken Law had far-reaching effects on the boundaries and funding of school districts in Texas. Because its enrollment did not meet the new minimum requirements, Independence School was closed in 1953. The last school building later became a private home.
Decimal degrees:  N 30.319917   W -96.344786
Degrees, minutes: N 30 19.195   W 096 20.687
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 755309, Northing 3357223
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

Independence School map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint