Site of Wesley School - Brenham, Washington County, Texas
Address:
Directions: FM 332, 7.6 mi. SW of Brenham at intersection with FM 2502
Marker #: 5477012287
Year Dedicated: 1999
Size, type: 18" x 28"
Last reported condition: No report
Site of Wesley School - Czech immigrants came to this area in 1859 and renamed it Wesley community. Professor Josef Masik tutored children in his home. The Bohemian Slovakian Reading Club of Wesley provided the first area school building about 1863. School was taught in the Wesley Brethren Church, a larger facility, beginning in 1866. As the area grew, another structure was required in 1873 and again in 1898. The school relocated to a former store on this site in 1911. It became an eight-grade school in 1927. A new building was erected in 1931 as the population continued to grow, and the school served ten grades in 1949. Enrollment fell as people left rural areas for the city, and in 1953 the school again served eight grades. It was closed and merged with Brenham schools in 1961. The last Wesley School building on this site burned in 1962. (1999)
No decimal coordinates available.
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

 
<< BackBookmark PagePrint