San Juan De Carricitos Land Grant - Raymondville, Willacy County, Texas
Address: SH 186, E of Raymondville
Directions: From Raymondville, take SH 186 E. about 12 mi.
Marker #: 5489004542
Year Dedicated: 1988
Size, type: 18 x 28" Subject
Last reported condition: N/A
San Juan De Carricitos Land Grant - The largest land grant in South Texas, the San Juan de Carrictios lands were awarded to Don Jose Narciso Cavazos in 1792 by the King of Spain. Comprising over one-half million acres, the grant included virtually all of present Williacy County, including the sites of the towns of Sebastian, Lyford, Raymondville, Lasara, San Perlita, and Port Mansfield. In 1793 Cavazos took formal possession of the land grant seven miles north of this site. Most of the grant was later sold by Cavazos' heirs, although some descendants still live within its boundaries. (1988)
Decimal degrees:  N 26.498739   W -97.638349
Degrees, minutes: N 26 29.924   W 097 38.301
UTM: Zone 14, Easting 635698, Northing 2931637
Maps:
Google
Mapquest
Terraserver (Aerial Photos)
Texas Highway Department
TopoZone
Yahoo
Nearby:
Geocaches
Geodashing Dash Points
Navicaches
Terracaches


Historical Markers
Cemeteries
Parks
Download GPX File what's a gpx file?
Found this marker? File a report!
sample marker image
Sample Marker Image

San Juan De Carricitos Land Grant map
<< BackBookmark PagePrint